jueves, 3 de junio de 2010

GENDER ROLE IN HEALTH CARE

Hello everyone, I'm going to talk about gender roles in my career, Midwifery.
In my career there is much difference between the number of men and women, although this situation has changed in recent times.
Socially midwifery is classified as a career for women only. In my view, society has a misconception about this, as most people think that the male-midwife is homosexual or entering the race to be close to women. I have three years in college, and my experience I can say that this situation is not so.
Frankly, I think few men enter really for vocation, there is a percentage that eventually acquires this vocation, but others come just to switch to medicine.
Now, as to the responsibilities of midwives, both men and women have the same powers to provide and deliver excellent care and also have the same capabilities to be for shift of the units, shift managers, etc.
On the occasions I have been in clinical field, our school teachers are assigned to men the most difficult patients, as older men that do not want to be cared by women.
I don't know how is this situation in our area specified performance.
Moreover, the professional development of male-midwife is excellent as the women, I have even heard that patients prefer the attention of the male-midwife.
Respect to the specialization area, I believe that male-midwifes prefer neonatology or gynecology.
For me, the differences between genders in midwifery are not important, the fundamental is the quality of care they provide to patients.

3 comentarios:

  1. Hello Valita

    Good point of view, I also think that the differences between genders aren`t important, the important is the quality of the profesional.

    Take Care, Kisses

    Javier Irribarra

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hi Vale!
    I agree with you, the quality of attention is the most important... and the men´s give best attention at the womens.
    bye !
    see you soon!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Comments:
    -there are many differences
    -aarea specified performance??(not clear)

    Teacher

    ResponderEliminar